Thursday, April 17, 2014

Watercoloring Techniques

Happy Watercolor, Delighful Dozen, Very Vanilla, Cherry Cobbler
 For my last workshop, I wanted to show the guests how many ways they could color in a lined image without going to a lot of work.  This technique, Watercoloring with Markers, is one of my absolute faves.  Simply stamp with StazOn Black or any other solvent ink onto a piece of watercolor paper (Stampin' Up!'s paper is the best - only because I've tried others and their absorbency rate is fantastic!), use a marker to go over the accent lines on the stamp, then use an Aqua Painter to spread the color out.  If some of your image ends up too light, go over some of the accent lines again with the marker when your color is dry.  On this card we used Cherry Cobbler.  That is my absolute favorite shade of red!!!  We made a removable bookmark with the watercolor paper and flower image, tucked it behind a piece of Gold Vellum and the Cherry Cobbler Seam Binding.  Those were attached with Mini Glue Dots.  We used the Tag Topper Punch to shape the top of the bookmark and some Cherry Cobbler Baker's Twine finishes the bookmark off.
Happy Watercolor, Cherry, Very Vanilla, Brushed Gold
I made this card because I wanted a stepped up version to show.  I love the layers of Cherry Cobbler cardstock and the Brushed Gold cardstock against each other.  Such an elegant look.  Here I used the Gold Washi Tape for a background and across the stem of the flower.  On this card I experimented with some watercolor paper from a local crafting store.  See how the image is washed out and there isn't much color variation?  It took a 1/2 hr for the little bit of water to soak into the paper.  I had to go over it again with the marker to get some color variation.  I was very disappointed.  Lesson learned.  Unless I'm using blender pens, DON'T use the cheap watercolor paper!  Because of the colors going on here, I chose not to use the Baker's Twine.  Instead, the Linen Thread looks quite fine. 
Thanks for stopping by the Stamping Station once again.  Let me know how you've been enjoying coloring in your stamps recently.
Blessings,
Julie
Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This



No comments:

Post a Comment